Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Video




Use in the classroom:
Lesson Objective: Students will explain the Harlem Renaissance and its impact to African Americans by completing a Webquest assignment.

Outline: The video would be placed on the introduction page of the Webquest. Students in their groups would watch the video to get a basic background to the Harlem Renaissance before they went on to complete the research. Using the information they gathered, students will complete a video, using the intro as an example of what it can look like.

1. I will incorporate creativity in lesson by using the webquest as a way for students to get understanding of the Harlem Renaissance. Videos, articles, images, etc will be found on the webquest. Also, having the students demonstrate their learning through creation of a video is also using creativity in the lesson.

2-3. Factors that would influence success would be technology availability. The ability to get computers for students to use is key. Without them, the lesson would not be able to happen. Internet access and quality is also a factor. Beyond technology, having students know how to create a video and where to go to create one is important. Many students have not played around with software/webpage programs to make videos. Option would allow them to do something on their phones that they are more familiar with as long as it can be sent to teacher. Lessons teaching students how to use programs on school computer to make videos would need to take place previous to the creation of video.

Application:
1. The lesson aligns with the principles from week one. First, the Modality Principle is seen with videos. The students are hearing the information versus seeing them written. Even though there are parts to highlight what is being said is written in the video, the writing just signal the important information. This fits into a second principle that is used in the video, Signaling Principle. A third principle that is seen when using videos as a way to present material is the Temporal Contiguity Principle. Students are hearing narration and images at the same time. This allows students to make the connections between information and what they are seeing. (Mayer, 2014)

2. In my video there was Signaling, Modality and Temporal Contiguity

3. The use of video in the classroom supports creativity because it allows students to get the information in different formats, so it hits each of the learning style. More importantly, using video making as an option for students to demonstrate learning, shows creativity. I like the idea of getting students to create videos that can be shown in class on the information that they learned. Some of our students do not do as well with writing down in essay form what they learned, but using video can be a valid way to show what they have learned. The only problem would be the access to computers for students who would chose this method. 

Reflection:

1. My thinking as changed in the use of making videos as a way for students to demonstrate what they know. It does take time when first starting off when creating a video, but it shows a student’s understanding of the information in a different way than what they would in an essay form. I also learned that for a teacher, with limited time, finding videos that are already created is much easier to do. I did enjoy learning the process though.

2. What stood out in my mind was the amount of work that goes into making a video. You see them all over the place and think, yep, that is fun. I did not realize the steps that take place in making one. Getting used to the process was challenging at first. A lot of manipulating takes place to get things just perfect. However, I also had to make sure that the information was specific and clear to fit into one slide. It takes out information that is not important.

3. One thing that I struggled with was the space and use of the space in the video. I did add writing in the space (wish that there were other props to frame words). I felt a little hesitant to use words as it was a video. When I did, I tried to make sure that it signaled what was being said and was useful—not just space filler. Using other images was also a way of filling the space, so I tried to use that when possible.

4. It did take a while to create and was difficult for me since it is not in my area of expertise. I am not a creative person, but am a perfectionist. I felt like it was never good enough, or what it should be. It challenged me as I had the fight between the two. I had to pull out what creativity I had and had to let go of my perfectionist tendency, knowing that I was not going to meet perfection on this assignment

5. My creativity grew a little bit. Still not a creative person, but do know that I can increase that if I keep trying and practicing. 

Works Cited: 
Mayer, R. E. (2014). Research-Based Principles fro Designing Multimedia Instruction. In C. E. Victor A Benassi, Applying Science of Learning in Education; Infusing Psychological Science into the Curriculum.



Video Evaluation:

World History: World War II
Explore history videos on World War 2 for kids at NeoK12

The class that I would use this video in is my High School United States History Class. My students are mostly 10th graders (15-16 years). I also have a few freshmen, Juniors and Seniors. I would use this video as an introduction to the Unit on World War II. Students would be responsible for just watching and listening to the video as it is to give them an overview of the War. As always, the students will be given questions to look for as they watch the video that will be used for discussion after. The questions will be discussed as a class and clarified before the video. I would not have them take notes as a mandatory assignment because details given will be discussed within the unit in greater detail. I also find that students lose the big picture of the video when focusing on specific details. I want them to see the big picture of the war.  After the video, the class will participate in a discussion around the video.

For the most part, I think the video is a great one to show. There are some parts that wander off, but the information is given in an energetic way. The content is appropriate for the area of study. It does add information about other countries that is not discussed in US History, but it is brief. Other aspects that we do not cover are still important in understanding the causes of World War II. It also adds to the lesson. The visuals are useful in getting students to see what was happening and the information given gives students the background of World War II that they may not know. Having the students gain background is helpful in understanding future lessons. The information given in the video is well organized and easy to follow. Students will easily be able to follow along. The speaker is engaging and with the use of the visuals, students will pay attention. That is what I like about this video over documentary style video. The source will work in my classroom. I probably would download it to make sure that I can access it regardless. The video is credible. Crash Course does a lot of videos on a variety of subjects. They use teachers to assist in making the video and information. Again, the use of the video for introduction to World War II would be beneficial to my students. It is better than me giving them the information, or having them read it. Students are more likely to remember the information from the video, especially with discussion of video as a class.  

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy history and feel this lesson idea would be a great way to get the students to demonstrate their creativity. I also enjoy how you mentioned the principles from week 1 that correspond to the video assignment. Very impressive. Thank you for sharing.

    Curtis Davis

    ReplyDelete