Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Padlet Assignment--New Deal





Use in Classroom:
Learning Objective:Students will argue the pro’s and cons of the New Deal using various sources found on Padlet and creating an essay on their view of the New Deal.

Outline: Students will use the Padlet resources to research the New Deal Programs. This activity would be done as a group activity after whole class instruction. During whole class instruction, students will get the basics of the New Deal and what was happening. The resources will add information and understanding to instruction. Students will use material to create a t-chart of pros and cons of the New Deal. With that information they would choose their side and create an essay.

Copyright—When using material, teacher will make sure that the resources are acceptable based on copyright/Creative Commons. All sources will have citation for the source. Students will be instructed that they will need to also cite sources when they use the information in their essay. Teacher will review citations with students prior to giving assignment.

Application:
1. The principles of multimedia align with the lesson idea because it offers a variety of sources. Some of the information is text based, others are image, and also video/audio. By doing this, students are not just stuck with one, and can read the information as well as get similar or added information in a different medium. The use of Padlet allows a teacher to put a variety of information for students to use in one place with easy access versus giving them individual websites or setting them out on their own. This allows for a more structured multimedia learning where students will actually learn.

 2. The principles that I was shooting for, not sure that I accomplished were coherence, segmenting, and modality. I wanted to use coherence to make sure that the students are not getting tons of information that really is not important. When looking at sources, I tried to find those that stuck to the point and didn’t go off from the main topic. With text based, this was a little harder. A lot of articles want to elaborate and add interest to keep reader entertained. For segmenting, which with using programs like Padlet, was one that definitely happened. The material was broken down into small chunks. Students are getting a portion of the information, then moving on to another portion of information versus getting it all in one spot. Students, also, get to move through the sources at their own pace. Segmenting is great for students with special needs because of the chunking and pacing. Modality was another one I was shooting for and believe I did. I provided video/audio sources that reiterate what a written source had stated. With this, it allows for students of all different learning styles to get the information, while the other just supplements the information. I would have liked to have use more videos, but finding sources that are not copyrighted were hard to find. PBS and History Channel had a lot that I liked, but did not use due to copyright.

Reflection:
 1. My thinking has changed over the week with my thinking of what materials to use. I realized how much I use in my classroom that technically I should not be using. I also realized how frustrating it is, though, to find material that is suitable for the classroom and topic that is permitted under Creative Commons. Google searches went from tons of information to vary limited sources and sites.

 2. The good news with teaching history is that there is a lot of sources that are public domain. At least for topics like the New Deal. One thing that did stand out this week was the advanced search to find information based on license. The variations of Creative Commons was also new. I had known about Creative Commons prior to the course, but really understood the attribution and Sharealike. The others were new for me. There are a lot of Creative Commons for those two as well versus the others. Many sources that I have used in my classroom I learned fit into CC-By and CC—SA, which is good to know.

 3. When looking at a lot of soruces, I found that many do not fit the principles. Coherence is a big one that many did not fit. I looked at many articles, power points, videos, etc. to really find sources that were more coherent. There were power points that had 50 slides. Much of the information was not useful to understanding the New Deal Program and could easily be trimmed. All types of material that I used had problems with that. Pre-Training principle was another one that didn’t work well. This is where I would need to do a whole class instruction before throwing students on this. They would need background information to understand what they would be looking at. The sources really were designed to give more detailed information on topic.

 4. I enjoyed using Padlet. I really like the program and will use it in my classroom when having students complete “research” on a topic. It really was nice in that it kept students focused on topic without wasting time searching for material. Depending on the assignment, I would link more sites to it where students can explore the topic more than specific material. 5. I grew with searching the internet. I also learned more about copyright, or at least being more aware of copyright information on websites.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you found the assignment beneficial! I like being able to give targeted information for research with padlet, especially to some of my special needs students last year who would have never actually found resources that would work. I also have used it for group projects - everyone find 1 resource that you think is great for this project and post. Then everyone has a common set of websites to use as they talk about the topic. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy,
    Thank you for such a great job. I admit that I referenced your Padlet often as I was creating mine. Just like you, I tried to provide a mix of information for those that have different learning styles: text, video, audio, etc. The Padlet worked well for keeping students focused on specifc resources. When you were looking for resources, did you find that Wikipedia was prevalent? I try to get my students away from using Wikipedia, at least as a sole resource. If necessary, they can start their and then jump to the links provided. With the Padlet, I did not have to worry about them simply halting their understanding with the site and could verify the information with credible sources.
    Cammie

    ReplyDelete